You will be made to care about gay marriage. – You must either fully embrace it or be shunned. – Erick Erickson (Red State)
It is one thing for a society to elect change; it is another for a court of law to impose change by adjudging those who oppose it hostes humani generis, enemies of the human race. – Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia
And those were the mild responses from the Right.
Red State’s Erick Erickson says, “you will not be allowed to accept that others can disagree on the issue due to their orthodox faith.” No, you will not, because of the very reason Erickson stated, it’s you’re “orthodox faith.” And when I say you will not, I mean you are free to believe what you want to believe, but you are not free to impose that belief on others.
Your beliefs are nothing more than your personal opinion, and that opinion has no place in legislation, particularly if that legislation serves to segregate. It is NOT my belief that gays and lesbians should have equal rights under the law, it is a truth. That is their right. It is not subject to debate. It should not be put to a vote.
We should never pass laws that treat a subset of society as second-class citizens. Laws should not exist to discriminate on the basis of sex, race, religion, or sexual orientation. This is not a matter of religion and faith, because of the very fact that we are talking about legislation. But Christians can’t seem to wrap their minds around that. Nope, instead they believe it is Christians who are now subject to persecution.
It takes some serious gall for a majority group to believe it’s being persecuted when a minority group wins equal rights. We need a name for such an affliction. For the religious Right, I call it Christian Persecution Syndrome (CPS).
Symptoms of CPS include:
- Uncanny ability to use contradicting talking points mid-argument
- Assign equal weight to “civil rights” and “beliefs” as long as said civil rights are not your own
- Herd mentality use of Bible verses to support bigoted beliefs without actually reading the Bible
- Righteous indignation toward everything defined as “other” or “different”
- Severe allergic reaction to the following words: equality, compromise, science, facts, progress, education, women, gay, Muslim
- Uncontrollable rage when confronted with alternative viewpoints
- Unmoved by facts, evidence or new information
- Overwhelmed by a sense of victimhood when beliefs are challenged on the basis of intolerance and/or discrimination
If you are suffering from any or all the above symptoms, or if the following screed offers you no reflection in the mirror…
I have often said that what animates people on the left — what motivates them, what informs them — is defeating us. No matter how, no matter what, no matter what it means. Their hatred for us overwhelms anything else. No matter the result, victory that includes impugning and demeaning and insulting us is what they seek. It’s what makes them happy. – Rush Limbaugh
…you might be suffering from Christian Persecution Syndrome.